They worked quickly: Kharkiv rector on the demolition of Nevsky monument

The monument to St. Alexander Nevsky was erected by the community of the Alexander Nevsky church. Photo:

The destroyed sculpture of St. Alexander Nevsky was installed by the community of the UOC temple.

The monument to the holy noble prince Alexander Nevsky, which was demolished in Kharkiv on May 19, was erected at the expense of the community and the rector of the Alexander Nevsky church, Archpriest Peter Kozachkov.

“From the very morning, 30 minutes after the curfew, armed people with machine guns arrived in a car, placed soldiers so that no one could approach, and quickly, in a few minutes, they demolished the monument. No one even had time to do anything to protect the sculpture,” Father Peter told the UOJ.

He said the monument to St. Alexander Nevsky was erected in Kharkov in 2004 in honor of the 350th anniversary of the city on his initiative. The rector ordered the sculpture to be made by the famous master Seyfaddin Kurbanov. A three-meter bronze figure of Alexander Nevsky with a sword in his hand was installed on a granite pedestal four meters high. The city authorities did not take part in the installation of the monument.

According to the parishioners of the temple, before the sculpture appeared in the park, there was desolation and garbage. there After the appearance of the monument, the square changed and became a hub with townspeople.

Saint Alexander Nevsky was the Grand Duke of Kyiv (1249–1263).

As the UOJ reported, on May 19, a video from Kharkiv was uploaded on the Web, in which people in military uniforms participate in the demolition of the monument to St. Alexander Nevsky.

If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor.


The recommendations of the VR committee to hold worship services only in Ukrainian are:
legal requirement of the state
unlawful interference in the affairs of the Church
mere talk
Total votes: 2


Система Orphus